If you are a woman struggling with the side effects of menopause or a hormone imbalance, there are myriad medicines that can treat your symptoms. However, what if it is possible to balance the symptom-causing imbalances, thereby preventing the symptoms altogether? Our philosophy at Hill Country Apothecary is that with natural treatments, you can correct the underlying hormone imbalance, bringing broader health benefits, instead of just treating the symptoms that result from these imbalances.
Top ten natural treatments you should try:
- Change your diet to maintain a healthy metabolism which can help decrease the severity of menopausal symptoms. Also, avoid soy, dairy and alcohol: by reducing your consumption of soy you can avoid its estrogenic effects. By cutting out dairy products, you can reduce inflammation, mucus production and lighten periods. Alcohol use may lead to aggravation of menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes and depression, and may contribute to osteoporosis. Supplements to try: Alpha Lipoic Acid and Chromium help regulate your blood sugar levels.
- Rhubarb extract reduces the severity and frequency of hot flashes in perimenopausal women. Product to try: Estrovera from Metagenics.
- Vitamin E contains tocopherols that help regulate natural estrogens and sooth dry skin and mucous membranes. Products to try: Vitamin E suppositories and oral Excellent E by Xymogen.
- Fenugreek seed extract for female libido support.
- B vitamins are critical for many metabolic processes and may become depleted in poor diets and when taking certain medications. Supplement to try: Look for Methylated B vitamins, as they are better absorbed and are more active than other forms.
- Maca is a South American relative to the radish. There are different types of Maca, and each has different compounds that support hormone balance, energy production and memory.
- Probiotics help protect against dysbiosis or imbalances in our residential microflora. By supporting the proper balance of bacteria in our gut, we can ward off inflammation, better absorb nutrients and repopulate during and after antibiotic therapy. A daily probiotic specifically formulated for women’s health helps support vaginal microflora, contributing to overall vaginal and urogenital health. Products to try: Ultra Flora Women’s Health from Metagenics and Ortho Biotic from Orthomolecular Products.
- Norway spruce lignan extract is a phytoestrogen that mimics estrogen’s good qualities naturally. It may help reduce hot flashes and irritability. At the same time, the extract has shown to offer protection against inflammation and cancer. Product to try: Xymogen Aroma8.
- DIM and Glucoraphanin found in cruciferous vegetables help regulate excess estrogen. Products to try: HormoneProtect and XenoProtX by Xymogen. XenoProtX has an additional liver support blend for optimal detoxification and antioxidant activity.
- Magnesium is a very important mineral and is easily depleted through active lifestyles and poor diet. Supplementation may help symptoms such as anxiety, irritability and mood changes. It is critical for countless metabolic processes and can promote everything from bone health to muscle relaxation. Products to try: Pure Magnesium Glycinate or OptiMag from Xymogen.
To learn more about Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT), contact our pharmacists. In addition to customized hormone therapies, we are committed to helping our clients manage their adrenal and thyroid health. Our Wellness Department can also help you create an eating plan that jump-starts your metabolism.
For more on hormones and menopause, check out our recent blog post, Hormones and Menopause: A Delicate Balance.